Objectives of NeXOS
The general objective of NeXOS is to develop new cost-effective, innovative and compact integrated multifunctional sensor systems (ocean optics, ocean passive acoustics, EAF sensor system), which can be deployed from mobile and fixed ocean observing platforms, as well as to develop downstream services for GOOS, GES and the CFP. This will be achieved through the following specific objectives:
- To develop a new, compact and cost-efficient multifunctional sensor system for optical measurement of several parameters, including contaminants such as hydrocarbons and other components of the carbon cycle.
- To develop a new cost-efficient compact and integrated sensor system for passive acoustic measurements.
- To develop a new low-cost sensor system for an ecosystem approach to fisheries management.
- To develop and integrate a miniaturised smart sensor interface common to all new NeXOS sensor systems.
- To develop and apply innovative sensor antifouling technologies.
- To develop a common toolset for web-enabled and reconfigurable downstream services.
- To assess and optimise the economic feasibility and viability of the new sensor developments including the manufacturing phase.
- To demonstrate new developments in real operational scenarios.
- To work with producer and user communities.
- To manage and coordinate the specific aims described above, and contribute to dissemination and outreach, to communicate the results and innovations of NeXOS.