The Oceanic Platform of the Canary Islands (PLOCAN) is a Spanish multipurpose technical-scientific service infrastructure member of the Spanish Network of Singular Scientific and Technological Infrastructures (ICTS). PLOCAN is a joint initiative of the Government of the Autonomous Region of the Canary Islands and the Spanish National Government (Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness). PLOCAN has extensive experience in the management and development of large national and international projects in the marine and maritime sector such us MERSEA (6th FP), EuroSITES (7th FP), AMASS (7th FP), GROOM (7th FP), TROPOS (7th FP) etc. Most of PLOCAN's senior managers have been engaged as Principal Investigators and/or Project Coordinators in several European Union projects from the 4th to the 7th Framework programs.
PLOCAN, coordinator of the project, will bring its expertise in different aspects:
- Project management, including the implementation of Prince2 methodology.
- Underwater acoustics, more specifically bioacoustic passive monitoring, specifications of the passive acoustic sensor and coordination of the development.
- Complement other sites in validating/demonstrating new sensors and henceforth offer the PLOCAN test site and ESTOC site to that aim.
- Collaborate on the interoperability aspects of the project, in particular the development of the SensorML instances for the new sensors
- Collaborate on the registration of the services in GEOSS.